Monday, August 9, 2010

How many times do I need to learn this lesson?

Well, I shouldn't be surprised. But, I always am.

Today is C's birthday. I have tried to explain over and over again to people who think that I'm being this ogre of a mother by protecting my child against my parents, that they are not interested in being grandparents. They never used to call him, never used to send him notes in the mail, never offered to come over to see him on a non-holiday/birthday occasion, even before the huge fight on Thanksgiving '08.

In addition, their gifts have shown their lack of interest.

Birthday 2010?

A card. With this greeting:

Wow - we can't believe that you are 8 years old - already. I bet that you are taller than Grandma!!
We hope that you have the "bestest", most happiest birthday - ever! Here is a BIG huggie to you, through the mail. We love you bunches and bunches. Grandma and Grandpa

Apparently, if they're not receiving accolades for the gifts that they give, it isn't worth sending anything. Either that, or they honestly think that I wouldn't give Conor the gift cards (which I did). I don't want their blood money.

I attempted to read the card to C and he walked away. Yeah, the kid has the right idea.

1 comment:

  1. C is so perceptive ~ I love that you didnt even have to say a word to encourage it ~ kids are so smart. You're doing a great job, mom. Love you. xo

    ReplyDelete