Friday, August 20, 2010

Another fine memory

I decided to do a bit of emotional dumpster diving and went to THIS site. It has been a great source of healing for me, but I hadn't checked out the links. In doing so, I discovered THIS blog. I'm only two posts in, but already have memories flooding back.

The author, One Angry Daughter, is discussing her baby shower. There are so many similiarities in our shower that it is ridiculous. But, it also made me remember my mother's inappropriate behavior at an after party for a concert that I was in.

A bit of background first.

My parents have these friends, M and J. I cannot stand these plastic people. The only thing that my parents did with this couple was drink. And drink heavily. This all started right around the time that I got engaged. My mother, who was never known to have a drink in her life unless it was a glass of wine with Christmas dinner, was suddenly calling me absolutely drunk. I don't care how old you are (and I was 25 at the time), no one wants their drunk mother calling them for anything. M and J moved out of state and I couldn't have been happier.

M and J came into town for my wedding and planned on staying with my parents after the wedding was over with, to visit. Apparently, during our honeymoon week, J got absolutely trashed and told my father that she wanted to have his baby. Yeah. Insane. So, my parents supposedly cut off ties with them. The next Christmas, I discover that they're exchanging Christmas cards and the whole dysfunctional relationship kicks back up again.

Cut to my concert, a few years later. My parents actually invite M and J to come to my concert. SO, they fly across the country to be here, and I did my best not to be angry that they were raining on my parade. They were actually quite reserved; it was my MOTHER who embarrassed me beyond belief. She got absolutely trashed at my after party, and proceeded to sit on the lap of M, flirting as loudly as can be. All of my friends were coming up to me and asking what the deal was, and if my parents were swingers. I was absolutely mortified. Yet, when I told my father the year prior that we were a dysfunctional family, he screamed at me that I hadn't had enough psych classes to be diagnosing. Riiiiight. I can't see that big elephant in the room, either. Must get credentialed. :-/



No comments:

Post a Comment